top of page

2 Things in your garden that could poison your pets

Updated: Jul 2, 2022

After a long, cooped up winter, you and your pets are pouncing at the idea of spending more time in the sunshine, enjoying and exploring every corner of your yard.




But before you send your pets outside for hours at a time, make sure you’re aware of the potential hazards hiding in your flower beds.


Spring Flowers


Unsafe: Tulips, lilies, gladiolas, daffodils, begonias, amaryllis, chrysanthemum, birds of paradise, baby’s breath, azaleas, oleanders, milkweed


Safe: African violets, roses, orchids, sunflowers, and marigolds



If you plant spring bulbs in your yard, keep a close eye on your pets. While every part of the “unsafe” flowers listed are toxic to pets, the bulbs contain highly concentrated toxic material. If ingested, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, pancreatitis, organ failure, internal bleeding, loss of appetite, and more.


While lilies are quite literally drop dead gorgeous, consider removing them from your garden altogether. The most fatal lilies to pets are true lilies: Easter, tiger, Asiatic, day, and Japanese species. If a cat consumes even a small amount of any part of these plants, he could experience kidney failure. If a pet consumes a benign lily, such as a calla lily, peace lily, or Peruvian lily, he will experience discomfort and irritation in the mouth and esophagus that leads to drooling.


Fertilizer



Fertilizers are made up of mostly organic materials that won’t harm your pet. If your cat or dog ingests fertilizer in a small quantity, they may be OK, but if fertilizer is consumed in large quantities it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, digestive blockages, seizures, difficulty breathing, and internal bleeding. While they are great organic fertilizers, stay away from blood meal and bone meal. Dogs, specifically, may find it palatable, but consuming either will cause major digestive issues. Additionally, stay away from fertilizers that use organophosphates. Consuming even a small amount can be fatal. Lastly, if your pet consumes fertilizer that is high in iron, they could suffer the painful digestive effects of iron toxicity.


The same way you baby proof your house with cabinet locks and outlet covers, pet proof your yard with pet-friendly plants and fertilizers.


The most common signs that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant are vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, and lack of appetite. Serious cases lead to organ failure.


If you’re ever unsure about the safety of your yard, or are worried something in your yard has caused a pet to get sick, call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661. Of course, if your pet shows any troubling symptoms, take them to your local vet as soon as possible. You've got this!

Kristi

ABOUT KRISTI DIAZ

Dr. Diaz’s nurturing nature led her into medicine where she became a Board Certified Anesthesiologist. While she loved her career and her patients, she also wanted to be a stay-at-home mother. After retiring from her practice and achieving her goal of being a home-based parent, Kristi began looking for ways to give back to her community. At the same time, she and her husband were looking for home-based business opportunities.


Kristi knew she found the perfect opportunity when she discovered pawTree. The value Kristi placed on diet and nutrition for health and wellness, coupled with her family’s love of animals, aligned with pawTree’s company values.


Dr. Diaz’s philosophy is that diet, genetics, and luck all work together to create the quality of a pet's life. We can't control the genetics and we can't control the luck, but their diet is something we can control. Pets count on us their entire lives for their nutrition. Feeding them high-quality food and supplements will give your pet the best chance to live healthy, vibrant lives.




14 views0 comments

コメント


bottom of page